Texas Veterans Legal Aid Week is a statewide campaign that centers on building awareness of the legal issues facing veterans, surrounding Veterans Day. Across the state, legal aid organizations will host legal clinics, intake, legal informational workshops, seminars, media events, and issuing press releases.
With 1,584,844 veterans living here, Texas ranks second in veteran population according to the Department of Veterans Affairs 2017 state summary. A count done back in 2011 revealed that there were 67,495 homeless veterans. Veterans account for 28% of the homeless population in Houston alone. Legal issues make up five of the top 10 unmet needs of homeless veterans.
This year, Lone Star Legal Aid joins the campaign by offering veteran centered presentations and legal clinics; and participating in resource fairs to provide information on the services it offers veterans and active-duty military, services like the ones provided to Sarah and her husband Jacob.
- Red White & You Job and Service Fair; 11/07/19; 10am; Baylor University, Baylor Club, Waco, TX 76701
- Hiring Red White & You: Veterans Job Fair Houston; 11/07/19; 10am-2pm; Minute Maid Park, 501 Crawford, Houston, TX 77002
- Veteran’s Appreciation Day and Benefits Expo; 11/07/19; Texas A&M – Central Texas
- University of St. Thomas Vet Resource Fair; 11/08/19; 10am-1pm; UST Veterans Success Center, 4219 Yoakum Blvd, Houston, TX 77098
- LSLA Table at Salute to Soldiers 5K; 11/09/09; Blackhawk Creek Hike and Bike Trail, Patrick Rd., Whitehouse, TX 75791
- LSLA Table at Veterans’ Day Parade; 11/09/19; 11am; Parade Route – Downtown Mineola, TX 75773
- UH Veterans Day 2019 Luncheon and Resource Fair; 11/11/19; 11am; UH Student Center South Ballroom; 4455 University Dr, Houston, TX 77204
- LSLA Table at Veterans’ Day Parade; 11/11/19; 11am; Along Parade Route, Austin Avenue and 13th Street and proceeds to 3rd Street, Waco, TX 76701
- Table at Veteran’s Day Parade; 11/11/19; 11am; Parade Route – Downtown, Texarkana, TX 71854
- Student Veteran Outreach; 11/11/19; 12:30-2 PM; SFA Univ-Veterans Resource Center, Student Center on SFA campus, Nacogdoches, TX 75961
- Intro to LSLA and Legal Clinic; 11/12/19; 10 am – 2 pm; Henry’s Home Horse and Human Sanctuary, Camp Strake Rd., Grand Central Park, Conroe, TX 77304
- Veteran Counsel & Advice Clinic; 11/12/19; 10:30 – 2:30pm; Veteran Resource and Support Center, Texas A &M University Memorial Student Center, 275 Joe Routt Blvd., College Station, TX 77843
- Veterans Outreach; 11/12/19; 12:00pm; 2508 S. 5th Street, Temple, TX 76504
- DAV Meeting – Outreach; 11/12/19; 6pm; United Way, 12300 Parc Crest Drive, Stafford, TX 77477
- VFW Brazoria County Outreach; 11/12/19; 6pm; VFW Post 8576 T C Selman Post, 238 Johnson Cook Rd, Clute, TX 77531
- VFW Spring Branch Meeting Intro. to LSLA; 11/12/19; 7pm; VFW Post 8790, 1560 Foley St., Houston, TX 77055
- Coffee & Donut Intake for Veterans; 11/12/19; 8 am – 5 pm; Lone Star Legal Aid, 110 N College Ave, # 302, Tyler, TX 75702
- Coffee and Donuts Intake for Veterans; 11/12/19; 9am; Lone Star Legal Aid, 3001 Richmond Road, Texarkana, TX 75503
- Veteran Outreach; 11/13/19; 10:30 am; Roberston County Veterans Service Center, 204 West Fourth Street, Hearne, TX
- Veteran Housing Outreach; 11/13/19; 2-4pm; US Vets, 1418 Preston, Houston, TX 77002
- Coffee & Donut Intake for Veterans; 11/13/19; 8 am – 5 pm; Lone Star Legal Aid, 110 N College Ave., # 302 Tyler, TX 75702
- Intro to LSLA and Legal Clinic; 11/14/19; 10 am to 2 pm; Veteran K-9 Rescue Ranch, 18935 Veterans Rd., Magnolia, TX 77355
- Veterans’ Week Outreach; 11/14/19; 9:30 am – 2 pm; Freestone County Courthouse, 103 E Main St., Fairfield, TX 75840
- Intro to LSLA and Adv. Planning Presentation; 11/14/19; 9:30am; Disabled Veterans of Fort Bend Outreach at LaGrange Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Two Saint Mark’s Place, La Grange, TX 78945
- Veteran’s Clinic, 11/14/19; American Legion Post 159, Bryan, TX
- Coffee & Donut Intake for Veterans; 11/14/19; Lone Star Legal Aid, 102 Oak Park Dr., Clute, TX 77531
- Simple Divorce CLE and Assisted Pro Se Clinic; 11/15/19; 12:00 pm; Lone Star Legal Aid, 500 Jefferson Street, Houston, TX 77002
- Veterans Outreach; 11/15/19; VA, 1901 Veterans Memorial Dr., Temple, TX 76504
- Veteran Legal Clinic; 11/16/19; 12-4 pm; Allen Heath American Legion Post 266, 1 City Park Dr., Franklin, TX 77856
- Art of Heroes; 11/16/19; 6pm; Texas A&M – Central TX, 1001 Leadership Pl #5901, Killeen, TX 76549
- Veterans Appreciation and Outreach; 11/8/19; 7-11 am; Anderson Co. Veterans Breakfast Nights of Columbus Hall, 110 Line Ave., Palestine, TX 75801
Lone Star Legal Aid is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit law firm focused on advocacy on behalf of low-income and underserved populations. Lone Star Legal Aid serves millions of people at 125% of federal poverty guidelines that reside in 72 counties in the eastern and Gulf Coast regions of Texas, and 4 counties of southwest Arkansas. Lone Star Legal Aid focuses its resources on maintaining, enhancing, and protecting income and economic stability; preserving housing; improving outcomes for children; establishing and sustaining family safety and stability, health and well‐being; and assisting populations with special vulnerabilities, like those who have disabilities, or who are elderly, homeless, or have limited English language skills. To learn more about Lone Star Legal Aid, visit our website at www.lonestarlegal.org.
Media contact: Clarissa Ayala, email@example.com.