Fort Bend County approved $19.5 million of funding to assist renters and landlords in paying rent, mortgage, and utilities during the Coronavirus pandemic. Funding for the County’s rental assistance program comes through the Federal CARES Act. The funding will be implemented in 3 phases of $6,500,000 each. Phase 1 will be from June-July, Phase 2 August-September, and Phase 3 October-November. Tenants living in participating properties may apply for rental, mortgage, or utility relief during all three phases of the program. An online registration portal will be opened to Fort Bend County residents on June 1, and applications for Phase 1 will be accepted from June 1-June 12 (or until funds are expended) on a first-come, first-serve basis. Find out more below:
Am I Eligible for the Fort Bend County COVID-19 Rental, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance Program?
Renters in Fort Bend County may be eligible for the program if you:
- Are a current Fort Bend County resident
- Have been unable to pay rent after April 1, 2020
- Have experienced income loss/reduction as a result of the economic impact of COVID-19
- Have not received rental assistance from any other source for the same period of time requested from this program
- Had a pre-COVID-19 household income of less than 80% of the area’s Average Median Income
- Note: Your landlord or mortgage company must agree to participate in the program in order for you to qualify.
Required Documentation includes:
- Completed Application
- Valid photo ID
- Most recent utility bill
- Valid lease or mortgage statement
- Most recent pay stub
- TWC statement of benefits received
- Certification of income loss
- Late notice or eviction notice (if applicable)
How do I Apply?
- Renters can apply online with a computer or smartphone beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, June 1. To register and find out more, visit: https://www.fortbendcountytx.gov or call 281-238-CARE (2273)
Learn more about tenants’ rights during the COVID-19 pandemic here.
Contact Lone Star Legal Aid’s toll-free disaster legal hotline at 1-866-659-0666 for more information about additional COVID-19 assistance programs.
Lone Star Legal Aid is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit law firm focused on advocacy on behalf of low-income and underserved populations. Lone Star Legal Aid serves millions of people at 125% of federal poverty guidelines that reside in 72 counties in the eastern and Gulf Coast regions of Texas, and 4 counties of southwest Arkansas. Lone Star Legal Aid focuses its resources on maintaining, enhancing, and protecting income and economic stability; preserving housing; improving outcomes for children; establishing and sustaining family safety and stability, health and well‐being; and assisting populations with special vulnerabilities, like those who have disabilities, or who are elderly, homeless, or have limited English language skills. To learn more about Lone Star Legal Aid, visit our website at www.lonestarlegal.org.
Media contact: Clarissa Ayala, email@example.com