Lone Star Legal Aid is committed to representing the people in our service area who need us. If you are eligible and need a lawyer, we want to be able to help you directly. You can apply for free legal help below.
Although we try our best, we don’t have enough resources to represent everyone who needs us. One study has shown we can directly help only 20% of the people who qualify and need us. This page will provide information and resources for people who need help with civil legal issues. The A2J Interviews below will help prepare legal documents you may need to file in court.
Winter Storm Uri – Renter’s Info
DID THE 2021 WINTER STORM AFFECT YOU?
Watch a short video for renters who need their landlord to repair their home
¿FUE AFECTADO POR LA TORMENTA DE INVIERNO DE 2021?
Vea un breve video para inquilinos que necesitan que su propietario repare su casa
TRẬN BÃO MÙA ĐÔNG 2021 CÓ ẢNH HƯỞNG ĐẾN QUÝ VỊ HAY KHÔNG?
Xem một đoạn video ngắn cho người thuê cần chủ nhà sửa chữa nhà của họ
Help in court
- In a Texas lawsuit, the court will require you to create documents explaining important information about your case. This interview will help you create some of these documents. You can come back and use this interview as many times as you want to create the documents you need.
- We can help you create the following documents. Some of these will be filed with the court and some will be sent to the other side(s) in the lawsuit.
- TX Initial Disclosures
- TX Expert Disclosures
- TX Pretrial Disclosures
- TX Motion to Quash Pre-Disclosure Discovery
- TX Motion to Compel Initial Disclosures
- TX Motion to Extend Deadline to Submit Initial Disclosures.
- Video explaining what “discovery” is.
- Video explaining some new changes to the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure
Help with COVID-19
- This interview will explain how to get Federal aid to help pay for the costs you had if you had a funeral for someone who died of COVID-19.
- This tool will explain what new benefits are available to you under the American Rescue Plan Act.
- This tool will help you create a letter you can send to your mortgage provider to find out how you can lower your payments and stay in your home.
- This tool will help you create documents to negotiate with your landlord, and defend yourself in court if you are being evicted. Use this if you can’t pay rent or are locked out of your rented home.
- We are updating our COVID-19 tools with information as it comes out. Stay posted!
Help after a disaster
Please check back if you need help and don’t see something here that you need. We’re planning to add more tools over time.