The Houston metro area is home to the nation’s second-largest veteran population and Texas’ largest. Since 1948, Lone Star Legal Aid has been focused to serving this community and now has a dedicated unit located at Combined Arms. Lone Star Legal Aid’s Military & Veterans Unit (MVU) provides free civil legal services to low-income United States military veterans, their dependents, and surviving spouses throughout the State of Texas.
WHAT WE CAN HELP WITH
- Veterans Benefits, including discharge upgrades, character of discharge review, service connected disability, non-service connected pension, survivor’s benefits, education benefits (GI Bill and Hazelwood Act);
- Bankruptcy, including Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 for home and asset protection and debt discharge;
- Expunctions & Non-Disclosures of misdemeanor and felony cases;
- Custody & Child Support, including enforcement, establishing and modification of child support ;
- Consumer Issues, including consumer debt defense, contracts & warranties, home repair, and lemon law;
- Divorce & Family Issues, including termination of parental rights, adoption, acknowledgement of paternity, guardianship;
- Education, including special education disputes, school discipline, IEP ;
- Employment, such as unemployment claims, wage theft issues, wrongful discharge ;
- Housing, such as eviction defense, foreclosure defense, repair and remedy actions, affidavits of heirship, and homeownership matters like mortgage and contract for deed disputes;
- Public Benefits, including Social Security Disability Appeals, Medicare & Medicaid; and SNAP benefits (food stamps);
- Wills & Probate, such as small estate affidavits, independent / dependent Administration, determination of heirship, and estate planning documents like wills, powers of attorney, appointment of guardian; and
- Crime Victim Services, such as crime victim compensation, impact statements, protective orders.
HOW TO APPLY
- Call toll-free, Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm, by phone: 1-844-400-VETS;
- Apply online here;
- Apply by email here; or
- Apply in person at one of our 13 offices. Be sure to tell the intake worker that you are applying for help from the Military & Veterans Unit (MVU).
- We will ask you to give us a copy of the veteran’s DD-214 or a military or dependent ID card to verify veteran connection or status. If you do not have a copy of the veteran’s DD-214, we can help you get one for free.
WHO CAN RECEIVE HELP
- have served in the United States military, or
- you are married to a veteran or are the surviving spouse of a veteran, or
- are the child or other dependent of a veteran and currently depend on the veteran for support;
- Your legal problem is a civil issue;
- You live within LSLA’s service area; and
- You meet income- and asset-based criteria. We serve people who have low incomes and limited assets.
Check us out on social media for updates.
Lone Star Legal Aid’s Military and Veterans Unit is made possible, in part, by a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance, which provides grants to organizations serving veterans and their families. For more information on the Texas Veterans Commission, visit www.tvc.texas.gov.
This program is made possible in part by a grant from the Bob Woodruff Foundation, which is dedicated to ensuring that impacted post-9/11 veterans, service members, their families, and their caregivers thrive long after they return home.