The Houston metro area is home to the nation’s second-largest veteran population and Texas’ largest. Since 1948, Lone Star Legal Aid has been focused to serving this community and now has a dedicated unit located at Combined Arms. Lone Star Legal Aid’s Military & Veterans Unit (MVU) provides free civil legal services to low-income military veterans, their dependents, and surviving spouses throughout the far reaches of it’s 72 county service area.
WHO CAN RECEIVE HELP
- have served in the military, or
- you are married to a veteran or are the surviving spouse of a veteran, or
- are the child or other dependent of a veteran and currently depend on the veteran for support;
- Your legal problem is a civil issue;
- You live within LSLA’s service area; and
- You meet income- and asset-based criteria. We serve people who have low incomes and limited assets.
HOW TO APPLY
- Call toll-free, Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm, by phone: 1-844-400-VETS;
- Apply by email here;
- Apply in person at one of our 13 offices. Be sure to tell the intake worker that you are applying for help from the Military & Veterans Unit (MVU).
- We will ask you to give us a copy of the veteran’s DD-214, a military or dependent ID card, or a VA Healthcare ID card to verify veteran connection or status. If you do not have a copy of the veteran’s DD-214, we can help you get one for free.
WHAT WE CAN HELP WITH
- Veterans Benefits;
- Expunctions & Non-Disclosures;
- Custody & Child Support;
- Consumer Issues;
- Divorce & Family Issues;
- Medicare & Medicaid; and
- Wills & Probate.
The Military & Veterans Unit is made possible by grants from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance, Texas Access to Justice Foundation, and Night Court.